Wednesday, August 12, 2009

REVIEW: 360 Degrees of Longitude


360 Degrees of Longitude by John Higham
Our Family's Journey Around the World
How I came about this book I just can't remember, and it was just a few weeks ago! I found the authors website based on the book and then I pre-ordered it and got it only the day after it was officially released on July 1st, 2009. WARNING: Full on raving and 5 star shenanigans ahead...
I read this book in 2 days. Not an easy feat as I look after two girls, 9 and 2, AND a 44 year old kid posing as my husband.
Once I read the first few sentences I could not put it down. Now, granted, my husband and I have been talking about a trip like this for as long as we have been together, and we place world travel very high on our priority list, so that could be why I just inhaled the thing. But don't take my word for it either! Just check out Amazon.com! In just 6 weeks this non-fiction delight has garnered ONLY 5 star ratings, and rave reviews. And I can totally understand why.
John Higham is a rocket scientist. Not as in, "Oh gee, it doesn't take a rocket scientist." No, he really IS one. He and his wife took 10 years to plan the "world the round" trip (as one of his children exclaimed in their toddler years), and he not only gives great detail of their travels but it is entertaining as heck and hilarious at times! When was the last time you laughed out loud while reading a travel memoir other than a Bill Bryson? Not only is it wildly entertaining, it is also educational without being text-booky, and honestly? You just feel like you are along for the ride, the tandem bike ride, as that is how this family largely travelled. Surviving on ham sandwiches and hitting the off-off beat track and getting sidetracked by some crazy stuff, you will feel like you know each and everyone of these people intimately. Not only that, if you have any interest at all in travelling the world? This will definitely inspire you to google earth yourself an itinerary.
The other neat thing the author did, he created a layer within Google Earth and there are many photos and extra little anecdotes to follow along as you read. Every time you see the little Google Earth symbol in the text you can visit the website and see the added bonus! GENIUS!

All in all a FANTASTIC read for anyone, but especially those of us wanting to travel with our kids.
RATING: 5 stars

6 Blabs:

Nikola said...

I want to read this BADLY!! Thanks for the awesome review!

D Swizzle said...

awesome! good review!

Missy B. said...

This sounds like an awesome read. Thanks for the review!

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard of this before. Sounds like a great read. Thanks for the review.

360 degree photo stitching said...

Good review!
Thanks.

Regards,
panorama stitching

Jamie said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is super obessed with this book!!

-Jamie at The Broke and the Bookish

Post a Comment