Thursday, August 13, 2009

BOOKING THROUGH THURSDAY - Recent worst..





Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme that is hosted by the website of the same name, and this weeks question is:

What’s the worst book you’ve read recently?(I figure it’s easier than asking your all-time worst, because, well, it’s recent!)
Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!
(POSSIBLE VAGUE SPOILERS AHEAD!)
The most recent of "worst" would probably be The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. This meme is super timely as I was JUST going to review it today! I know this was an Oprah pick, and that is primarily why I bought it. Like her or not, she sure knows how to hype up a book! Some of the books from her book club have been duds, but two of them are in my top 5 and I may never have read them if they hadn't been chosen!

But I digress....

I was pretty excited to read this book as I am a huge dog fan. HUGE. And seriously, just look at the cover, I mean does that not scream, "BUY ME!" from the shelf, or what? That being said, I loved the first half of this book. I loved Almondine (the dog heroine) and I loved Edgar, I even loved the loathsome Claude (who I kept picturing as a very dingy looking Sam Rockwell). His character was very colorful and the writing of all of the scenes in the barn between Edgar and Claude are very well done and unfold movie-like on the page.

Then Edgar heads to the woods.

Without giving anything away, Edgar does disappear in the woods for a time and this is when this book really takes a plunge into boredom for me. It goes on and on, endlessly, with details and ... yawn. Although there was glimmers of hope for this section, I could barely get through it. I felt as if the author was trying to fill out the book, I'm certain that is NOT the case, but that's what it felt like.

Then he meets Henry.

Can someone please tell me the point of the Henry character? By the end of the book I was just mystified as to why this whole part of the novel existed. I liked Henry a lot. A very loving caring man, and really enjoyed some of this section. But there is something that happens in the shed, as in an apparition and it is never really explained or addressed and is just sort of left there... hanging... only to annoy me.

So this book is difficult to rate. I enjoyed the first half immensely, found it very well written and engaging.. but the last almost half and the ending left me disappointed. I would never tell a person NOT to read a book they want to read, other people LOVED this one, so what do I know. I am only sharing my opinion and my answer to today's meme!

What is YOUR worst recent read?

RATING: 2/5

11 Blabs:

Susan said...

WOW - that doesn't sound good at all! I'm going to have to re-think reading this one.

I chose The Reader by Bernhard Schlink as my most recent bad book. You can check out my thoughts here.

D Swizzle said...

My worst would be the house of night series by pc and kristen cast...bleh.

Lisa said...

Hey Susan! I have always thought of reading "The Reader", now I'm definately going to not bother. Love your blog! I especially love your "TBR" thingy! Cool!

Dannie: House of Night, never heard of it! Thanks for the warning. LOL!

Anonymous said...

That doesn't sound great :(

Alyssa Kirk said...

I tried but couldn't get through this book. On the other hand, my aunt loved it.

Have to agree with Dannie on House of Night. I was also disappointed with the final books of the Maximum Ride series as well as with the final book in the Twilight series, Breaking Dawn.

Lisa said...

Oh yeah, Breaking Dawn was a HUGE let down for me as well. Ugh.

Jenny said...

Hi Lisa, I followed you over here from book blogs... I love your blog and the books you are reviewing look like just what I like to read! I'm following your blog now.

As for Edgar Sawtelle, I completely agree. The first half of the book was great and had so much potential but after that it was downhill. I so wanted to like it too. =/

Stop by my blog sometime! TakeMeAway

Jessica said...

Thanks for the review/meme. The cover does scream "Buy me!" I go back and forth about whether or not to grab this one every time I see it in a bookstore. The fact that it's an Oprah's Book Club selection always makes me stop and wonder. (I don't think I trust her anymore.)

Anyway, I think I'll skip this one.

As for the meme, the most recent worst book I've read would have to be EVERMORE. *shakes head in disappointment*

Mel (He Followed Me Home) said...

Hi Susan,

I have this on my 'to read' list, may need to put it at the bottom & get to it 'whenever', lol.

Cynthia said...

I've heard really mixed reviews about this book but lately it's getting to the point where most of what I hear now is negative. I have an aunt who LOVED it, but a lot of time our tastes in books are quite different so I doubt I'd like this one either.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I'm one of the ones who really loved this book. For a lot of people, it seems that was not the case--many felt like you did about the post. Honest review; thanks

Post a Comment