Monday, April 18, 2011

MAILBOX MONDAY -- APRIL 18TH

Mailbox Monday is a weekly bookish meme created by Marcia over at The Printed page, but is now hosted by different blogs every month.  This month it is Passages to the Past.

I did get 4 books this past week, and managed to finish two books!  Wooo look at me!  I haven't really sat down and really "read" for so long, it felt great to just read,and read, and read...

First a HUGE thank you to Michelle at Simon and Schuster Canada for the following:


City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare -- this being the 4th book of a series I have never read, I am wondering if I could read this as a stand-alone book?  Anyone?  Otherwise I may do a giveaway as Michelle also sent me some swag to go with it, a gorgeous poster, and some buttons!  

I am a HUGE fan of the Infernal Devices series, and Clockwork Angel is the first Cassandra Clare book I have read, and I am dying while waiting for the next installment in October of this year.  

He's So Not Worth It by Kieran Scott    (YA  ARC)

Here's the blurb from S & S:Ally Ryan, come on down to the Jersey Shore and forget your troubles! Have you recently been humilated in front of your friends and family at your former best friends birthday party? Was your almost boyfriend partly responsible for that humilation by withholding some vital information about where your estrangerd father is? Did you come home to find said estranged father sitting on your stoop? If so, then it sounds like you could use a vacation!

 The Jersey Shore is the place to be. 

Your mother may be living with her boyfriend of only a few months, but at least the stunt Shannen pulled has put some of your friends back in your court. Even so, you're still angry and what better way to get over Jake than to blow off some steam with local guy, Cooper. People will hardly recognize your new attitude, but the old one wasn't getting you anywhere, so who cares!

 Jake Graydon, an exciting opportunity is waiting for you in the service industry! 

Are your grades so low your parents have grounded you for the summer? Did you the girl you really like unceremoniously leave you behind? Would you rather eat dirt than see your friends again? Then a job at the local coffee shop is just the ticket! Suprisingly, Ally's father is the new manager so you get to be reminded of her nearly every day. Maybe it's time to start flirting with your best friend's ex or even taking school a bit more seriously. Especially when you finally see Ally and she's hanging around with some loser and it's couldn't be more clear that she is over you. 



Have a great summer!


I like YA, and once in awhile I get sent an amazing one, like Clockwork or Leviathan, but I may do a giveaway of this one as well as I will likely never read it.  If you are a fan of Kieran Scott stay tuned!


Possession by Elana Johnson:  YA ARC
Release date:  June 7 2011
S&S blurb:
Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn…and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself. 

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them….starting by brainwashed Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous: everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn. 

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.



The last book is by an author whom I read when I very very first had my blog, you can read the review of that book here.


So I was happy to snap up a copy of her brand spankin' new book "Shelter" and a HUGE THANK YOU to Borealis Books for sending it my way!!


Here's the blurb from Sarah's website:

With imperfect timing, a single mother scrabbles for independence while hunting for a scrap of land on which to start life anew, (or seek shelter from it) and, to insure a legacy of for her teenaged son, whether he wants it or not. "Scrap" turns out to be roadless, raw wilderness near the town where her émigré grandparents settled and where the family name is now a postscript.  From buyers remorse to the practicalities of carving out a place to share with her son (and hopefully, maybe, someone special) endeavors are fraught with unexpected difficulties, surprises, joys and disappointments – in a word, life. And when it seems outside forces might threaten all she’s struggled to build, the question is no longerwill she fit in? but will she hang on?
The voice in Shelter is that of an optimistic skeptic, blending the humor and bravado necessary to survive in a place that has two seasons – both of which can kill you.







For more mailbox monday posts click here...

And what was in YOUR mailbox this past week?








9 Blabs:

brandileigh2003 said...

I can't wait to read Possession and COFA. Enjoy!
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Jules said...

These all sound pretty amazing. I have yet to read the first mortal instrument book but I keep seeing Cassandra Clare popping up every wehere so I will have to get a shift on.

I am a new follower :D

Jules

Audra said...

I haven't read any of the Mortal Instruments books yet either; will be curious to see if it manages as a stand alone.

RAnn said...

Hope you enjoy your new books!

gautami tripathy said...

Wonderful mailbox. Hope you like those. I received a few in my mailbox! but I downloaded a LOT of free e-books!

Here is my Monday: Mailbox/What Are You Reading?/Musings post!

DCMetroreader said...

He's So Not Worth It looks like a good one!

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

These all look very good. I hope you enjoy them all.

Anna said...

Looks like you had a good week. Happy reading!

Oregon Kimm said...

I'm a little late viewing your post, but I would highly recommend reading the first three books -- first. There are too many allusions and plot points that you will miss. Besides, without spoiling the book -- you cannot appreciate the ending without understanding what lead up to it. Mortal Instruments is an awesome series...give it a try!

Post a Comment