Friday, April 15, 2011

BLOG HOP!!

Book Blogger Hop

It's Blog Hop time again!  This week's question is:

"Pick a character from a book you are currently reading or have just finished and tell us about him/her."


I just finished Remarkable Creatures and so I can talk about Mary Anning.  She was a fossil hunter in the early 19th century and was credited with finding two of the most famous dinosaur finds of that era.  I love the fact that she was a woman and even after all of the bureaucratic BS of the time, her name managed to stay attached to these discoveries and now she is immortalized.  She was struck by lightening as a toddler and the woman holding her and the two beside them were all killed.  She survived and lived an extraordinary life.  She was famous, rich, but the only thing that eluded her was the warm loving embrace of a husband and a noisy house full of children.  


There is something profoundly sad when picturing this woman getting older surrounded by the cold dead fossils in her home, instead of the sticky hands of her grandchildren.  


To join in the Blog Hop click on the above button!  Have a wonderful weekend!

5 Blabs:

Dorothy A. said...

Thanks for stopping by!

Wow, Mary seems like a remarkable woman. Thanks for sharing about her.

I'm following. :)

Two Bibliomaniacs said...

I've not read this one, but am a big fan of Tracy Chevalier. Remarkable Creatures sounds interesting!

New Follower.

Have a great weekend!

Ellie said...

Remarkable Creatures one one of my favourite books of last year. I don't live too far away from Lyme Regis so am hoping to make a visit this summer.

Elizabeth said...

I love dinosaurs...sounds like a good book.

Hopping by from the blog hop.

Elizabeth

http://silversolara.blogspot.com

Alyce said...

Oh, that does sound very sad (her later life). I hope that I can get this book via paperbackswap soon. :)

Post a Comment