Friday, December 11, 2009

REVIEW: ERAGON BY CHRISTOPHER PAOLINI

I read this a few years ago now, but while I am catching up on my review reading, I thought I would post about it as it remains as one of my favourite YA reads.
 
The first thing that struck me about this book when I picked it up from the shelves was that the author was only 15 years old when he started writing it,  and he was homeschooled.  What  kudos to the homeschoolers out there!  WOW!  To say it was well written is a gross understatement!  Right from the first pages I was taken in by the world he created, and just loved all of the characters.  One of my favourites was Brom.  What a cool dude. His relationship with Eragon was father-son like, and he taught him many of the skills he would need to survive his quest.  I loved the words Paolini used to name things, like "the spine" as the mountain region.  The battles with the evil Ra'zac are gripping, and it reminded me of the scenes with the orcs in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  Like, on-the-edge-of-your-seat kind of reading!

Here is the blurb from Paolini's website:
When Eragon finds a polished blue stone in the forest, he thinks it is the lucky discovery of a poor farm boy; perhaps it will buy his family meat for the winter. But when the stone brings a dragon hatchling, Eragon realizes he has stumbled upon a legacy nearly as old as the Empire itself. Overnight his simple life is shattered, and he is thrust into a perilous new world of destiny, magic, and power. With only an ancient sword and the advice of an old storyteller for guidance, Eragon and the fledgling dragon must navigate the dangerous terrain and dark enemies of an Empire ruled by a king whose evil knows no bounds. Can Eragon take up the mantle of the legendary Dragon Riders? The fate of the Empire may rest in his hands. . . .


Paolini has created a very real world for his readers, and the characters have solid flesh and bone as well.  Saphira is a georgous beast, who is proned to woman-like miffs that actually made me laugh in parts.   I was given the sequel, Eldest, when it came out a few years ago, and I started it and liked it, but for whatever reason I put it down and have not picked it up again.  Now I think I may give it another go. 


Eragon is one of the YA novels that can be read by young people and parents alike.  And just released in time for Christmas is this BEAUTIFUL companion book to the series along the same lines as the "ology" books (as in Wizardology, Dragonology, Pirateology)  called "Eragon's A Guide to Alagaesia", with lots of cool flaps and facts that will have  fan of the trilogy flipping and reading with happiness!

RATING:  4.5 STARS





7 Blabs:

Anonymous said...

I think this is one my daughter will really enjoy in a couple of years.

Robyn @ Robolobolyn's Universe said...

This was a great read indeed! I've read the first three books multiple times, and I'm crawling the walls waiting for the fourth and final novel!!! Though I can't wait to find out how this all ends, I also don't, you know? Cause when it ends, I have a feeling that we wont be visiting Alegasia anytime soon after. :(

-Robolobolyn (:

Lisa said...

Hey Carol, I look forward to hearing what your daughter thinks of it when she does get to read it!
And Robolobolyn, okay your enthusiasm has TOTALLY made me RUN upstairs and grab Eldest and I am going to read it next! (along with the other 3 books I'm reading!) It is so hard when a beloved series is over. Sigh.

:0)

book review said...

Eragon is a good book

Trisha said...

I very much enjoyed this book too. While I didn't enjoy the other two books as much, I was still very happy I read them.

Unknown said...

I loved this too Lisa!

If I don't talk to you before the holidays have a great one.

BTW - I am referring a few publishers to you with books you may be interested in. :)

Lisa said...

Hey Trisha, that's what I'm wondering. I read about 1/3 of Eldest, but I think it just was more slow moving than Eragon, which is why I have left it for so long now!

Shellie: You too!!! Have an awesome holiday! And thanks for the referral, always welcome. :0)

Post a Comment