Sunday, September 6, 2009

SUNDAY SALON

What is the Sunday Salon? Imagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them, and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....


This week was not the best week for reading, per se.  Every day I thought about reading, and I did actually read EVERY day, but I didn't get as much done as I would have liked.  The new additions to my reading list at the moment was our Family Book Club's selection "Three Day Road" by Joseph Boyden.  Our official start date was Sept 1st, and I have created a reasonable reading schedule for everyone and even made a bookmark with the deadlines on there to keep everyone on track.  The only thing is, this book is SO GOOD that it is VERY difficult to stick to the 60 pages every TWO WEEKS!  But for a couple of people in our club they only tend to read a few pages a night, so we wanted to make sure that everyone could in fact get the book done by the deadline.  We could plough ahead if we wanted to, but my fear is that if I finished the book too far ahead of our meeting on November 28th that I would have forgotten about the story and wouldn't be as involved in the discussion.  I am thoroughly enjoying it, though! 

The other book I picked up this week is "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo."  So far I really like it, I adore the main characters and it is a very fast read.  Although it is a thickish book, the text on the page is large and therefore you can get through the book pretty fast.  Plus the story is grabbing and you get into it right away. 

I was at the book store (like I said) the other day and had a look at "Hunger Games" and "Catching Fire".  They look FANTASTIC!  And it was all I could do to not buy them.  SERIOUSLY.  The buzz in the book blog world about these books is off the charts, and this morning my beloved Book and Arts section in our local paper had a huge write up about them and the author.  Soooo, this week I may have to step into a Chapters and see if they fly into my hand and to the cash register.  And like most other book addicts out there, yes I DO hide my bags, and have been doing that for YEARS.  Like an alcoholic and liquor bottles, but it's BOOKS so it's OKAY... right?  RIGHT???!!!!!!  

This is a long weekend in Calgary, and we have been doing not much else other than hanging around at home.  It is very cool out today and I got very excited by the idea that maybe I could actually wear a SWEATER.  But alas, it is not quite THAT cool.  I am a HUGE fan of fall.  It is hands down my FAVOURITE season.  The leaves, going back to school, the cooler temps, sweaters, you know... the whole thing.  LOVE.

Have a WONDERFUL rest of your weekend everybody!!!!

2 Blabs:

Jenny said...

I definitely know what it's like to hide books/bags, lol!

I just got Hunger Games at the library today. Depending on how good it is and how long the wait is for the sequel I may go out and buy it. =)

Alyce said...

I was excited to wear a sweatshirt when I took a walk this morning, so I know what you mean. I had to take it off halfway through the walk, but it's nice to have some variety in the wardrobe again. :)

I'm still hoping to win a copy of Catching Fire, but if not then I may have to buy it for myself.

Post a Comment