Monday, September 21, 2009

MAILBOX MONDAY


This week, once again, I actually DID recieve some books in the mail!  And one package from Hachette was a total surprise!  Not only was I not expecting it, there was 4 books in there! 



The first one from the Hachette pile is Robert Ludlum's "Bourne Sanction".  I have never read any of the Bourne books, but not because I didn't want to.  I just never really thought about it!  Now I totally will! 

The next one from Hachette is "Dewey The Small Town Library Cat Who Touched te World by Vicki Myron with Bret Witter.  This book has the cutest cover in the entire universe.  The story sounds so heartwarmlingly sweet, I think it would be a great book to give for Christmas.  I'll post a review when I read it.  It starts on the coldest night of the year when Dewey, only a few weeks old, is stuffed into the returned book slot at the Spencer Public Library in the town of the same name in the US.  "He was found the next morning by library director Vicki Myron, a single mother who had survived the loss of her family farm, a breast cancer scare, and an alcoholic husband.  Dewey won her heart, and the hearts of the staff, by pulling himself up and hobbling on frostbitten feet to nudge each of them in a gesture of thanks of love.  For the next nineteen years, he never stopped charming the people of Spencer with his enthusiasm, warmth, humility (for a cat), and, above all, his sixth sense about who needed him most. " (from the dust jacket)

Tell me that isn't the cutest most heart swelling story EVER. 

Also from Hachette is Larry King's biography entitled "My Remarkable Journey".  Not much to say about this one, other than I am curious how "remarkable" his "journey" will be to read.  But I digress.

This last one from Hachette sounds REALLY cool.  It's by Jacques Attali and it's called "A Brief History of the Future - a brave and controversial look at the twenty-first century".  From the dust jacket:  "In the international best seller, world renowned economist and political adviser Jacques Attali predicts how our world will look not only in the coming decades but a century from now.  Will there be global chaos, dominated by terrorists, pirates, dictators, devestating droughts, and rising floodwaters?  Or will the planet be blessed with peace, prosperity, and greater freedom for mankind.   While many unpredictable factors could change the course and timing of events, Attali argues that history flows in a single, stubborn direction that no upheaval, hoever momentous, can permanently deflect. 
I can't wait to read this one!


Here is a beautiful looking book that was sent to me by the author Sarah Stonich (THANK YOU, SARAH!)  She even sent a lovely hand written note inside, which is a very nice touch!  First of all, look at that cover.  Is that not georgous!  And the review line on the bottom of the cover is what really hits home for me, "Any woman who ever had her heart cracked open by a man should read The Ice Chorus."  Nuala O'Faolain.       I started it the other night and so far it takes place in Ireland!  And her writing style is beautiful! 

What's in YOUR mailbox this Monday??




3 Blabs:

Mel (He Followed Me Home) said...

Wow Lisa, what a nice surprise! A Brief History of the Future looks interesting..think I may have to check that one out :)

Anna said...

The Ice Chorus sounds really good. I can't wait for your review. I never thought about reading the Bourne books either; I've enjoyed all the movies, though.

My mailbox is here.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

The story of DEWEY: THE LIBRARY CAT is so sweet; I hope you enjoy it. Yes, I think it's a "safe" gift.

Post a Comment