Monday, November 16, 2009

GUEST POST: STEAMPUNK NOVELIST NICK VALENTINO - AUTHOR OF "THOMAS RILEY"!

The Steampunks Are Coming

I’d like to start by giving a heartfelt thank you to Lisa for letting me come here and guest blog today. I’ve been doing a lot of blogs on this tour and it means a lot that these wonderful people have reserved a day especially for me. So Lisa, thank you!


My name is Nick Valentino. My first book is a Steampunk adventure novel called Thomas Riley. It was just published by Echelon Press and I can’t tell you how excited I am to tell you about it. If you don’t know what Steampunk is, I promise you will soon. Not just from me, but from the book and movie industry. Apparently it’s the genre that book agents and movie execs are looking for. Don’t worry; I’ll give you the scoop right now.

The setting: Victorian times (mostly in London or in this case Europe).

The culture: Inventions, science and alchemy dominate the popular culture of the day.

The style: Corsets, vests, overcoats, wire framed spectacles, bowler hats, goggles and cloves.

The twist: The world has experienced a huge boom in technology based on steam, clockwork mechanics and alchemy.


So the difference between Steampunk history and history as we know it is that steam powered inventions dominate the world. Hence dirigibles, steam weaponry, and everything as we know it is now powered by steam. So anything imaginable existed in the Victorian period, just with steam power and gears instead of fossil fuels and electricity. So take the pioneering and explorative spirit of the era and multiply it by the ability to fly great distances with heavy weaponry. Watch out though, the world is at war and dangerous sky pirates could be lurking in great airships just beyond the horizon.

If you like high adventure, classy yet rugged sky pirates and the untamable minds of two alchemists/inventors, Thomas Riley and the Steampunk genre may just be for you.

Here’s the back cover blurb to wet your appetite:

For more than twenty years West Canvia and Lemuria have been at war. From the safety of his laboratory, weapons designer Thomas Riley has cleverly and proudly empowered the West Canvian forces. But when a risky alchemy experiment goes horribly wrong, Thomas and his wily assistant Cynthia Bassett are thrust onto the front lines of battle and forced into shaky alliances with murderous sky pirates in a deadly race to kidnap the only man who can undo the damage: the mad genius behind Lemuria's cunning armaments.

Find out more at:

http://www.sirthomasriley.com/

You can purchase signed copies at:

http://thomasriley.bigcartel.com/

or

http://www.echelonpress.com//

7 Blabs:

Aarti said...

This book sounds like a lot of fun. Steampunk DOES seem to be the cool genre these days. :-)

Anonymous said...

I haven't read any steampunk, but definitely want to. I think he's right that we'll be seeing it everywhere.

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

I'm loving the sound of steampunk. I've got a copy of Westerfeld's Leviathan, but haven't had the chance to start it yet.

Lisa said...

I am totally down with the Steampunk too. Had no idea what it was until Nick! But I also have a copy of Leviathan, and have already started it, and was wondering if it was Steampunk, sure sounds and looks like it! Soooo cool!

Cecelia said...

Yay! Steampunk! I'm totally riding this wave. I might even have to splash out for a bustle dress...it's all so FUN! The book sounds great, too, and I'll definitely be looking for it. Great stuff!

BookHounds said...

This looks wonderful. I just read my first steampunk book, Soulless by Gail Carriger, and I loved it. Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

Steampunk history sounds awesome! The possibilities of the genre sound so exciting. I am loving the sky pirates in huge airships!

Post a Comment